Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Currently.

a scene from our hike Sunday morning

Watching: Last week I shared a bit about wanting to read more than I spend in front of a screen. Kind of impossible since I work on a computer and from my phone all day long, but as far as free time I've been doing better! I'll share what I'm reading below but if I am going to squeeze in some television it's only of the highest caliber. Quality programming, you guys. You know- Real Housewives of New York and Teen Mom, of course. I'm not even watching the Bachelor anymore. Mainly because I can't fit two hours of television in, but also because over the past few years I've just lost interest. But all of my Bravo shows remain a complete non-guilty pleasure and when I can catch up, it's such a treat. The other night I was able to watch a couple episodes of the New York Housewives (the Mexico trip) and oh my god, amazing. I love them, and like I said in my Instagram stories, drinking tequila with those ladies is now way up high on my bucket list.

Reading: So I don't know what it is but lately I've been very into "self-development" books. I think that's the nice new way of saying "self-help." haha. I like it. But I've been reading this book and it's pretty amazing. Super straight forward, a quick read, and all sorts of inspiring. But I warn you, it might just be the mood I'm in. Life is so weird right now between feeling incredibly happy in my little bubble of the five of us, and then terribly sad about my Dad, that I think gravitating towards books that make me feel really good and productive is some way I'm coping with that. I've been able to stay very positive though, so something is working.

Feeling: Each time with my babies I almost wait for postpartum depression, like it's something lurking around the corner that might pop out at any time. It's not in the forefront of my mind, but sometimes I'll think to myself, "hmmm, I wonder if/when that will happen." That might sound weird, but because I'm someone who has been depressed and dealt with anxiety in the past, each time I thought it would be a given for me. I didn't experience it with either boy, but after I stopped nursing Charlie I had a rough time. Hormones, not so fun. And this time it's been pretty smooth sailing and I'm still surprised I didn't experience it. Up and down sure, but pretty manageable. I'm well aware I won't really feel like myself for another year or so (from previous experience) so I'm just going with the flow and doing all the self-care things that help me feel my best. It's equally shocking that it's already been five months since I had Olive and that's it's ONLY five months since I had her. Time is so weird.

Eating: I've talked about it a tiny bit on my Stories over on Instagram, but I've been doing macro counting for almost two months now. I have SO much to say on the topic, and it really deserves its own post, but I just have to quickly touch on how much I'm enjoying it, which is really, really surprising to me. My best friend has been counting macros for ages and I was always very against it for myself. I was concerned it would bring up previous issues I've had with food and make me feel really crazy counting every little thing that I put in my mouth. But the big surprise for me has been learning that I've been eating SO much less than I should be, too little carbs, too little everything, by a lot. Having no food off limits means I am free to eat whatever I please (although I still stick to foods that make me FEEL good), and any leftover guilty associations I had with food are gone. It's very cool. And the results I'm seeing are just so neat. This is probably not for everyone, but it's been great for me. My friend Amy is coaching me, setting up my macros and my workouts, and I check in with her weekly. All my life I've worked out, but now I see I was in auto pilot and never really dialing in my nutrition at the same time, kind of just stuck feeling good but not getting to the next level or seeing big changes. It's been so motivating and eye opening to see the shifts in how I feel, and also in my physical self over the past couple of months. We're taking it super slow and watching my milk supply, and so far so good. I'll keep you posted.

So that's it for me this week! How about you? Feel free to do a Currently post and link me in the comments so I can read yours too.

xoxo

7 comments:

  1. I still don't understand why people addicted to the Bachelor until now (even though I worked on one of the episode in previous season) haha.

    Tell us more about this macro. I would love to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will totally do a post about the macros soon! :)
      Thanks for reading!

      xo

      Delete
    2. Me too! I know I'm probably not eating enough and definitely not balanced enough, but I also am taking medication that is causing some weight gain and it's making me a little self-conscious (okay, a lot).

      Delete
  2. I quit The Bachelor recently too! When you look at the time commitment and the (many, many) other ways you could spend 2-4 hours every week, it's just not a priority in life haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sooo true! I just can't make it happen! Nor do I want to ;)

      Delete
  3. First, I love your goal to blog more in August! Mainly because I love reading your blog, but also because I'm a sucker for blogs by people who write well and this will give me something to look forward to each day. I am currently reading "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F---" by Mark Manson and it too is pretty straightforward (and a self development book). I'm about halfway and loving it. There's a lot of surprises and good view points.

    Question though... In a previous post, I think you mentioned that you had either read, or were going to read "The Assistants" (or at least I think it was you). What did you think of it? I am going to start that one next and am curious. Anyway, take care and be well.

    Renee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I just had that pop up on my recommended reading! I will give it a try. Thanks! :)

      I think I did post about that book but haven't started it yet. I will have to go look back at my Kindle samples. I'll let you know!

      Thanks Renee! xoxo

      Delete